Ukadiche Modak


This recipe is very close to my heart- I remember as a child helping mom & my grandmother & lending a helping hand in making the modaks on the first day of Ganesh Chaturthi. All the family members used to gather at my grandfather's place to celebrate the festival, the ladies of the house used to make more than 80 modaks. Modaks is a rice dumpling made with coconut & jaggery filling and steamed, served with ghee (Clarified Butter). Ukadiche means steamed therefore this name. This is probably the only Maharshtrian sweet dish which I gorge on from the bottom of my heart & can never enough of it each time I make it. I'm still in the learning stage of make the perfect modaks but I'm sure will get the perfect shape someday. Dedicating this recipe to my beloved aaji (grandma) whom I miss, each time I make this delicacy.

(Recipe contributed by my mother, she makes the bestest Ukadiche Modak in this world. I don't think I can ever make modaks like hers)

Photographed By: Rohit Khadilkar

Find my recipe posted on SpiceWok, Pune http://www.spicewok.com/recepie_detail.php?id=334&cuisine=Ganapati%20Modaks

 

For the covering
  1. 1½ cup Rice Flour
  2. 1 cup Water
  3. 2 tsp Ghee (clarified butter)
  4. A pinch of Salt

For the filling
  1. 1½ cup grated Coconut
  2. 1 cup Jaggery
  3. 1 tsp Poppy Seeds, roasted
  4. 1 tsp Cardamom Powder

For the filling
  1. Mix grated coconut & jaggery together and keep aside for 10 mins
  2. In a pan add this mixture and on a low flame cook it until jaggery melts
  3. Add cardamom powder and roasted poppy seeds
  4. Filling is ready, keep aside to cool
  5. For the covering
  6. Boil 1 cup water, add ghee to it
  7. Add rice flour to boiling water and mix well stirring continuously so that no lumps are formed
  8. Add salt, mix well and cook covered for 2-3 mins
  9. Remove from heat and knead well for 5-10 minutes into a soft flour when its hot
  10. This dough is called Ukad and hence the name!

Method for making Modaks

  1. Divide the dough into small balls
  2. Roll each ball to size of puris
  3. Place this on the palm and add some filling to it
  4. Bring together the ends in form of plates and form a tip and seal. A perfect looking modak should form 7 plates.
  5. Repeat the procedure for rest of the modaks
  6. Put these modaks in a thin muslin & place this in a steamer/cooker without a whistle and steam for 15-20 mins.
  7. Serve hot modaks with Ghee.

 

11 comments:

  1. Hey Soni!! Congrats!!! And i must compliment on the perfect shape of your modaks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Soni!
    Will try this.Thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Archana, Let me know how it turns out!

      Happy cooking
      Soni

      Delete
  3. You posted it just in time !! I will be following your receipe for sure ;-) thanks Soni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let me know how the modak's turn out...AM sure you and your family will enjoy them

      Delete
  4. I'm gonna try making traditional modak by your recipe tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its v easy...do make and let me know how it turned out

      Delete
    2. I suck at these traditional recipes. The filling turned out great but the covering just didn't work out, it was too wet and adding more flour didn't do any damage control. So I just turned them into balls. They're still yummy in my tummy :)

      Delete
    3. The recipe has the exact measurement of rice flour and water. If the rice flour is not fresh it might go wrong... Never mind you can give it a try again and it will surely turn out well.

      Delete
  5. Hey Soni ...am ollwing ur recipe too....mi shodhat hote ani here it is..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW Preetha Nakki kalav kashe zalele modaks...Enjoy

      Delete

Post a comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails